Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Seek the Lord and His strength...

As we move along in our memorization of Psalm 105, our next command (not suggestion) from the Lord is to seek Him and His strength, and to seek His face continually. Wow! Really? Continually? So what does that actually look like?

Well, let me back up a minute here. Our first instruction is to seek Him and His strength. How do we do that first? You all know where I am going with this one - if we are to seek out the Lord, the best place to look is in His Word. There we will find Him.

There we find His outstretched arms, as He gathers us into His promises and covenants.

There we find His rod of discipline, and His daily provision of nourishment, complete with even some tasty desserts!

There we find His sacrifice, His love, His wrath and His power - His mercy, His grace, His holiness and His purity - His patience, His anger, His Spirit and His Son - His purpose, His teaching, His instructions and His peace...

...and the list goes on and on...

So we will find the Lord in His Word, and it is there as well that we'll find His strength. What does that look like in your life? Seeing His strength does a couple of things to me: first, it shows me how powerful He is and how puny I am. Second, it shows me how willing He is and how needy I am. And third, it shows me how generous and protective He is and how blessed I am!

So, now we are told to "seek His face continually." Now that I understand that the search for God turns up such wonderful treasures, why would I ever stop seeking? Ladies, this call to seek continually is not a Greek word for "once a week, when you feel like it or every once in a while." We all know what "continually" means - it means non-stop, without ceasing, around the clock, time and time again, constantly, incessantly, always, all the time, the entire time, day and night, regularly, repeatedly, at every turn, endlessly, perpetually, eternally! How's that to name a few! (I especially love that last one...)

So as you head on through your week, be sure to add this to your to do list - "Seek the Lord and His strength; seek His face continually."

Blessings to you and thanks for a great morning at study!

Kristen

1 comment:

  1. You know I studied Psalm 20,21 and then taught them recently. I'm now specifically "looking for God" in those psalms with the method you suggested last Monday night. What a blessing... Also wanted to let you know - more great feedback at church Sunday...thanks again for giving that to us...

    ReplyDelete