Monday, October 19, 2009

Alistair Begg and Me

So, did I catch your attention with that title? Technically, I did not speak to Alistair, or actually meet him...but I did sit about 4 pews away from him as he waited to step onto the stage to speak on Sunday morning. Let me explain...

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary service of a church in the Chicago area that my parents began in their home when I was in college. Dave and I were at the first service before we headed back to school. The years have passed and God's face has shined on this church, and everyone was invited back to celebrate His work through the years. So many faces and hugs - I was nearly tackled by Steve Bollweg's twin sister, Stacia, when we walked in the door! It was a great reunion, but the icing on the cake was the speaker - Alistair Begg.

Now, maybe you don't know him. He is a pastor of a church in Ohio and speaks around the world. But other than the fact he is a remarkably gifted speaker who loves the Word and preaches lights out - he has a wonderful, Scottish accent, which makes the sermon immensely enjoyable to hear!

Yesterday he spoke on I Corinthians 15:58 - Paul's charge to the church at Corinth to "be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord." What a wonderful charge as the church we were at looks ahead to the next 25 years!

The only thing in our life that is constant is Jesus. When we put our hopes in anything else, our foundation becomes shaky. But the work of the Lord is not one that is in vain, because it rests on truth. Now, ladies, this charge is not simply to church leaders, but to all believers! The call to follow Christ is one which abounds with work, so my question to you is this: What are you doing to further the cause of Christ? There is much work to be done and we can be steadfast and immovable because we are grounded in the Truth!

The Scottish accent was really fun to hear but Alistair Begg's message was far more impressive - I mean, it left a greater impression...we have a calling and this calling gives us our reason for living! So let's continue on in our study in Genesis, searching for Truth, seeking the face of our Savior, embracing the change to be more like Him...

See you in the morning!

Kristen

4 comments:

  1. I used to listen to Alistair every morning on the radio. He came on before John MacArthur...great, great preacher and teacher of the Word...what a privilege for you to hear him in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The only thing in our life that is constant is Jesus. When we put our hopes in anything else, our foundation becomes shaky. But the work of the Lord is not one that is in vain, because it rests on truth."

    Amen and Amen He has been sending me this message for 2 weeks now in many ways, through many people, and through many circumstances. He is glorious and mighty, sovereign (I'm so glad!!) and greatly to be praised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray I found the blog spot!! Right after Bible study today I was listening to Alistair Begg preach on Paul and his defense to Agrippa
    that the gospel message is for the great and the small. Oh glory!! Since I happen to be one of the small ones I'm so glad my Savior died for me too!! How wonderful are His works
    I know that full well!! Keep sharing ladies, God is praised in our community with one another as we lift Him up and there is so much to lift up! AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Traci! Now I know I'll never forget your name...

    ReplyDelete