Lesson 6 – Isaac, Jacob, Joseph
Genesis 22, 32-50
I. A Passed Test – Genesis 22
A. The test is placed before Abraham – v. 1,2
1. God _____tested ___ Abraham
· Is this a test or a temptation?
· Better translation “prove”
· God tests us to produce __good____ in our lives
· How old is Isaac?
2. Love – this is the first mention of love in scripture
· Hebrew word is “ahab” (aw-hab) – means to have __affection________ for, love, like, friend
· Galatians 3 – shows Isaac as a ___type__ of Christ
· God sends Abraham to Moriah – II Chronicles 3:1 tells us that Solomon built the ____Temple____ on Mount Moriah
· Was it wrong for God to ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac?
B. Abraham immediately obeys – v. 3-10
· Abraham tells the servants that he is going to do two things:
2. _Return__ to you
· We are going to look at these in reverse order:
1. Return to you – Abraham had every confidence in the ___character______ of God
o Matthew 19:29 – what have we left?
o Matthew 25:31-40 - what have we done for Christ?
o Mark 8:34-38 – are we ashamed or do we have a boldness?
o What is faith?
2. Worship – how was this an act of worship?
o “shachah” (shaw-caw) – to prostrate, to __bow__ __down_, to fall down, to do reverence, make to stoop, to worship
o Example of Daniel
o How has our concept of worship changed?
o New Testament never uses the term “worship” in reference to Christ, however Christ was the prime example of worship:
§ Matthew 8:20 – “lay His head”
§ Matthew 26:39 – Christ conformed to the _will__ of the Father
§ John 19:30 – “bowed His head”
C. The Father Intervenes – v. 11-24
· Abraham has been proven – he passed the test!
o Hebrews 11:17-19 – faith proven by ____works____
o James 2:14, 21-24 – faith proven by ____works_______
· Why did God ask this of Abraham?
1. Obvious __type____ of Christ
2. To prove Abraham’s __faith___ to his people
3. John 8:52-59 – Abraham ____rejoiced____ to see MY day
· God provides a ____ram___ - God will provide a __Lamb__
· Jehovah Jireh - God ___Provides______
II. Jacob – Genesis 32:22-32
· There are three Patriarchs in the Old Testament – Abraham, ___Isaac__ and _____Jacob_______
· Who was Jacob?
· Wrestling Match – background
· Hosea 12:3,4 – Jacob wept and sought ____favor___
· Other pre-incarnate visits by Christ:
o Abraham walked with the “angel of the Lord” who spoke in the first person
o In this story, Jacob says, “I have seen God face to face…”
o Moses in the entrance of the Tabernacle
o How do we know this is Jesus?
· Jacob’s name is changed to ____Israel__ - means ____wrestles with God__
III. Joseph – Genesis 37-50
· The largest chunk of Genesis is devoted to the story of Joseph
· The 12 sons of Jacob become the 12 tribes of Israel
· Joseph’s sons are each given a portion – double portion to Joseph
· The story of Joseph places the children of Israel in Egypt, which is the beginning of the fulfillment of the prophecy given to Abraham about his children in Genesis 15
· Story time - Brief synopsis of Joseph’s life:
· Theme verse for Joseph – Genesis 50:20
· Joseph is not considered a Patriarch
· Genesis 49 is Jacob’s prophetic blessing that he gives on his sons – v.8-11 is a key prophecy because Jesus comes through the line of JudahWhat happens to the children of Israel in Egypt? Genesis 15:13,14