Lesson 4 – Flood and Tower of Babel
I. Introduction to Noah – Genesis 6:1-13
· Nephilim – Who are these giants?
o Sons of Sethites and daughters of ___"Cain"anites_______
o Demon _____possessed men__________
· Nephilim were ____mighty____ men and men of _______renoun______
· 100% words – the wickedness of men caused the Lord to regret creating – what a sobering statement!
· v. 8 – first mention of grace – Noah found favor/grace
II. Noah’s Obedience – Genesis 6:14-22
· Dimensions of the ark:
o 438 feet long (1.5 football fields)
o 72.9 feet wide
o 43.8 feet high
o 1,400,000 cubic feet (522 standard livestock cars - 125,000 sheep)
o 3 stories high - divided into rooms
o gopher wood
o pitch inside and out - "pitch" in Hebrew is the same word for
"atonement" - pitch kept the _____judgment_______waters out, Christ's blood (pitch) was the ____pitch/atonement_____ for our sins - keeps the judgement fire away
o one door into the boat
· The animals:
o Less than 18,000 species of animals (mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians – total)
o Double that number with extinct animals of the fossil record
o 75,000 = male/female x 36,000 plus 3,000 for the "5-of-each-clean-animal" category – Brookfield Zoo has 2,300 animals
o 60% of the ark was potentially filled with animals - perhaps less, because "kind" is probably more general than "species"
o large animals would be young – babies most likely
o 1 million species of insects!
o The rest of the space was for food storage and living quarters for Noah and his family
· Further Obedience – Noah was ____thorough__ - Genesis 6:22, 7:5,9,16 – he did as the Lord commanded him
· What day did Noah enter the ark?
· The flood:
o Local or worldwide?
o The flood vs. evolution
o How did the flood change the world?
1. oceans more ____extensive_________
2. land ___less_____ extensive
3. tropical worldwide temperature was ___gone__ - polar regions developed including glaciers and an ice age (i.e. “snap-freezing of mastadons”)
**For more information on Ice Age – read Henry Morris, Remarkable Record of Job, pp. 29,30 and Ken Ham, The Answers Book, pp.12,13
4. mountain ranges ___appeared________- less inhabitable regions
5. wind, storms, rains, snows - _______harder___ existence for man
6. canopy ____protection_____of sun's rays gone - life span _shortened__
7. general ____instability____ of earth's surface - volcanoes, seismic activity increased
· After the flood: Genesis 8:20-9:19
o Noah’s sacrifice
o The Noaic Covenant:
1. Be____fruitful____ and multiply
2. Animals will now _______fear_____ men - Genesis 9:2
3. Animals would be_____food_____ for man (all) - v. 3 (do not eat/drink the blood - Leviticus 17:10-14 - blood = life)
4. ____Capital______ ______punishment______ is established – now government was necessary- v.5-7
o God promises never to ______flood_____ the earth again
o Reminder of the rainbow – I WILL REMEMBER – v.15
III. Table of Nations – Genesis 10
IV. Tower of Babel – Genesis 11
· Story of Nimrod – Genesis 10:8,9
· What was the purpose of the tower?
· What was God’s reaction?