Wednesday, January 26, 2011

One Week Old!



Today the girls are a week old, so of course, I had to go and see them. This is Norah - she was wide-eyed and raring to go when I got to the hospital. That and she had a full diaper that Grandma got to change. Oh, what joy! I seem to bring out the best in my granddaughters, because they seem to fill things up whenever I am holding them.

Anyway, I changed Norah and then she was ready for a feeding. They are still doing about 2 feedings a day with a bottle, so Mary and I arm wrestled for the right to feed Norah and...Mary won.




This was the first time Mary fed Norah - I think she's fed Ashley before, so in truth, there was no arm wrestling. This was Mary's privilege since she did all the work to get the girls here!




While Norah was being fed, I slipped over to Ashley's room to give her a squeeze and this is what I found. I think her nickname might be "Crashley" because she was crashed! (Sound asleep, for those of you who don't know what I am talking about.) She is our good sleeper...



Later I was able to give Ashley her bottle, to which she slept through most of it. I wasn't overly successful keeping her awake, but it was fun anyway. When feeding the girls, we are instructed to put them on their sides and not fill the nipple of the bottle with liquid, so that they don't get too much at once. They still have to suck to get the milk, but they can't have it too fast. After 20 minutes, whatever is not taken through the bottle is put through the tube in their nose. The nurse told me that after 20 minutes, they will start to burn more calories trying to eat than they are taking in the milk and that isn't very helpful.





Later, Grandpa got his hands on Ashley - I'm taking these pictures with my i-Phone and they make our heads look so big and our bodies look so small...not a bad thing, I guess! Does he look like a grandfather? He looks so young! Calvin went into Starbucks the other day with a soccer jacket on, and the barista asked him if he played soccer. He said yes and then she asked which high school he plays for...he explained that he was 24 and the father of twins and she was a bit shocked...both Cal and Dave look so young...




Lori showed up as we were leaving (Mary's mom) and she had Ashley as we left. She is such a beautiful grandmother! She has a gentle way about her, she's very calm, she loves Jesus with all her heart, she's got a year of experience (being a grandma) under her belt, so she is a wealth of knowledge - oh, and she's a nurse! So we are very blessed to have such a wonderful grandmother for our babies! See how proud she is of her little girl...




Right before we left, I ran back into Norah's room to snap one final picture...awwww...so precious! I think tomorrow they are going to let the girls be in the same room for a while - let Mary hold both together! They haven't been together for a week...I am sure this will make them happy!

Okay...that's all for today...

1 comment:

  1. They are beautiful, just like the family they belong to....

    ReplyDelete