Monday, November 7, 2011

The Original Know it All

"Even before there is a word on my tongue,
behold, O Lord, You know it all."
Psalm 139:4

Moms can be real know-it-alls. We are convinced we really do know-it-all and we are pretty good at convincing our children we know-it-all. I can remember telling my children that I knew everything because I was a mom and moms knew everything. Then they'd ask me some question that I had no idea what the answer was and I'd either make up an answer or I would say, "Of course I know the answer, but I also know that you are not old enough to hear the answer so I'm just not going to tell you." ...or something ridiculous like that...it was dumb fun, but it always ended up with great laughs.

Then there were the times that my children wanted to tell me something but I was too much of a know-it-all to listen. I mean, really? Was I going to let my children instruct me on something? Pride. Plain and simple. I didn't want to waste my time listening when I already knew everything. Damaging pride.

Then there were the times that I knew so much that I knew their thoughts and intentions. I would say, "I know what you are thinking..." or "I know why you did that..." because I was a know-it-all. By God's grace, I was sometimes right in my assumptions, but that didn't make my attitude and actions right. I was still hurtful and difficult to be around. Nope, know-it-alls are nearly impossible to live with.

So when God says He knows it all, what does that make me think of? All those times I regret not listening? All those times I assumed and bullied because of my title? All those times I teased, but deep down I was pretty sure I was nearly omniscient?

No. When I read that God knows it all, I realize that the only One who can claim that truth doesn't lord it over me, nor does He use it against me. He actually used it for me. He knew I would be His enemy. He knew I would not parent without sin. He knew I would be impatient and proud. He knew how highly I would think of myself.

And so He died for me.

Because He was a know-it-all Who truly loved.

Wow.

Thank you, Father. Forgive my arrogance and please humble me to listen more...and when I grow up, I want to be just like You...


2 comments:

  1. I especially like and concur with that last sentence, 'cause sadly I can relate all too well.

    ReplyDelete