Sunday, January 3, 2010

Proverbs...something for everyone

It's late ladies, and I was getting ready to climb into bed when thoughts about what I had read in my Bible yesterday came swirling back into my head. Because I know that sleep doesn't usually come quickly when my brain is mulling things over, I came back out to the computer to talk with all of you!

Because yesterday was the start of a new year...and because it was the start of a new month, a month with 31 days in it...I decided to read through the book of Proverbs again; one chapter a day.

What struck me as I began to read, was that Proverbs (and I would add all of scripture) has something for everyone. It doesn't matter if you are naive or wise, young, old or full of understanding, it was written for you and it delivers.

Read through Proverbs 1:1-6 and see what it promises to give you, wherever you may fall in your level of knowledge and understanding. There's no shame in being naive or young, only encouragement to grow and a warning.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

The chapter goes on to warn of sin and then tells us about wisdom.

WISDOM...the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.....Oh how we need wisdom!!!
We must not be content with being simple-minded!!

The chapter ends with a great promise. In fact, verse 33 made me smile, because I realized that I was starting off 2010 in a much better place and with a much better attitude than I started 2009. One year ago, I was scared. As the economy spiraled downward and the world became unstable and talk of terrorists, recessions, one world currencies and end times swirled around me, I walked around with a pit in my stomach more days than I care to admit.

But this year....this year I have the wisdom to believe in verse 33.

But he who listens to me shall live securely
And will be at ease from the dread of evil.

......and that makes me smile!

Looking forward to digging into the word and growing in wisdom with all of you in 2010!
All glory and honor and praise to the author and perfecter of my faith!
Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment