Thursday, January 14, 2010

Prayers for Haiti

"Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ,
keep seeking the things above,
where Christ is,
seated at the right hand of God."
Colossians 3:1


I don't know about any of you, but last night when I went to bed I struggled with what to say to the Lord about what has happened in Haiti. The devastation is overwhelming, to say the least. I kept seeing the haunting images: the children, collapsed building after collapsed building, the dead. I guess I didn't even know where to begin.

But He brought to mind our memory verse in the midst of my struggle and instead of putting my thoughts on human suffering, I made a conscious decision to seek the things above, to search the heart of God and acknowledge His sovereign rule over man and nature. Make no mistake, this is a massive crisis. But God rules and He reigns, and He doesn't rule and reign without purpose. So I prayed that God would be glorified through this disaster, that hearts would turn to Him and find true healing and peace.

As many of you know, my family is really into adoption and over the years we have sponsored children from third world nations through Compassion International. When my twins were doing country reports in sixth grade, for Christmas we "gave" them each a little girl from the country they were studying that we would sponsor. The girls write their "little sisters" a few times a year and send pictures.

Nicole did her report on Haiti and her "little sister" is named Sementa. I don't know what Nancy's status is at the moment and I am not sure how to even find out, but I do know this - if a very dark nation, entrenched with voodoo practices and witchcraft, Sementa knows the Lord so her eternity is secure. This is a great comfort at this time when we don't know about her well-being.

As we seek the things above and try to look at the Haiti disaster through the lens of God's Word, let us remember that life is fleeting but eternity lasts forever. Pray for the believers in Haiti - the nationals, the missionaries, the ministries who are providing aid. Pray that as they meet the physical needs of the injured and broken, that they share the Bread of Life and Living Water with the dying. In this terribly dark nation, their only hope is Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment