Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Don't you just love...

...how the Bible is like a master recipe book? Take a handful of verses in Genesis, throw in another verse in Psalms and top it off with a few verses in Hebrews and voila! You have a type of Christ!

(What is she talking about?) <--that's you

For those of you who weren't at study today, the answer is: Melchizedek! Genesis 14:18-20, Psalm 110:4 and Hebrews 7:1-3 are all the verses we have on this mystery man, but we are told that Christ would be a priest in the same manner as Melchizedek. So, as believers, we study, we dig, we compare scripture with scripture and we draw closer to the Lord with our results.

I'm not going into the details of our conclusions because I taught through it already today, so call me if you need to understand the specifics here. My point is this - don't you just love how the Bible, written by so many different men, over 1500 years, just flows seamlessly together and all points back to God? His plan, His story, His will, His character. It's all about Him. He is the theme of the Word. And it's actually fun in the process!

Hope you all have a good day...I'm just stoked about how cool the Word is...

Kristen

10 comments:

  1. I love when you are stoked about how cool the word is....because it is contagious..and you get the rest of us fired up about it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Word is, well, wonderful...

    So do you think Melchizedek was Christ incarnate, or is this a good excuse to give you a call?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...that should be Christ preincarnate...it's late...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I don't believe He was preincarnate Christ. Christ does talk face to face with Abraham later in His life and so I don't think He appeared as a king and then later as Himself. I think Melchizedek was an actual king - Hebrews said he was "like" the son of God. This is another reason that I don't think he was Christ. Personally I like the theory that he was Shem, but there's really no biblical basis for that as well. Most likely he was a king who was saved by grace and worshiped the God Most High (El Elyon - as used in Genesis). The lack of geneological information makes Him like Christ (no parental record, no birth or death record, etc.), since all we know is that he was a priest of God - he will remain in that position historically forever. Christ has no beginning or end, though He was born of a virgin, this description is a type of Him because He is God and has no stated beginning. His death wasn't his end and He holds the role as priest, even now interceding for us...I think you get where I am going with this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the same thing...since Melchizedek was an actual king...that would mean that Christ was ruling on earth...that doesn't really make sense. Shem was probably alive at that time, right? That is fun to think about.

    Definitely a type of Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two are like 2 peas in a pod..the way you think alike...Kristen actually said yesterday, "Shem was probably alive at that time.." Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (She doesn't know I sent you my notes...) Shhhhh.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Notes? What notes?

    Melchizedek was possibly an "unfallen Adam", sent from another planet to observe fallen man and God's redemptive plan?

    Who came up with that one?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Henry Morris gets credit for sharing that one with me - and he was much more well-studied than I am on the thoughts that roam around in the minds of people...I look forward to the day when I bump into him in heaven, he introduces himself and I get to throw my arms around his neck and give him a big, grateful squeeze for his work here on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love our classes because not only am I learning to be disciplined in coming... but learning how much I really don't know yet... and how awesome it is that I am CHOSEN "just because" and not because of my works. Otherwise I would be in HOT water!

    ReplyDelete