Monday, September 12, 2016

Notes from the Margins



Do you write in your Bible?  

I was flipping through the pages of my Bible today, reading some of the margin notes and decided that today would be a "Notes-from-the-Margin" kind of day.  What I love about the margin notes is that they cause me to read the passage they are next to, so that I can remember why I wrote what I wrote.  So the margin notes, while not inspired, are pushing me to the Word, causing me to remember and praise the Lord for what He has taught me and continues to do in my life.   Here are some of the margin notes, mostly from sermons at Harvest, from my Bible. Feel free to look up the passages...

  • Elohim - plural word that uses singular verbs (hmmm...evidence of the Trinity in the grammar...Genesis 41:16)
  • Religion without obedience is worthless (I Samuel 15:22)
  • At the precise moment you are in the trial, God is present (Isaiah 43:2)
  • Fear is believing that something is stronger than Jesus (Luke 8:22-25)
  • Sanctification is the process of forgetting about ourselves (Luke 10:25-37)
  • Greed says, What you give me, God is not enough and it's not good enough (Luke 12:13-34)
  • Jesus is found innocent and condemned to die - if He was found guilty He would not have been worthy (Luke 23:13-25)
  • The way I live reflects the One I follow (John 3)
  • Fellowship is common participation in God (Acts 2:42)
  • Commitment plus the Holy Spirit equals boldness (Acts 4:31)
  • Holiness is the best thing God has to offer and the #1 tool He uses to accomplish holiness is suffering (Acts 12)
  • Justified - declared innocent despite guilt (Romans 5:1)
  • Repent - Stop, turn around, head in the opposite direction (Mark 1:15)
  • To the Pharisees - I am a new way of thinking - you can't just incorporate me into your old way of thinking! (Mark 2:21,22)
  • To know the scriptures is to know the power of God (Mark 12:24)
  • Failure to invest what I have entrusted to you is a great wickedness (Luke 19:26)
  • Repentant people recognize sin for what it is! (Psalm 51)
  • You don't need to forgive yourself, you need to believe in Jesus Christ (Romans 8:1)

Okay, so the list could go on and on but here's the point: there are some pretty brilliant truths that come from the teaching of God's Word.  When they come out of your pastor's mouth, write them in the margins...they will continue to bless and encourage you way beyond any particular Sunday morning...

You are loved!


No comments:

Post a Comment