- He has not dealt with us according to our sins - He dealt with Jesus according to our sins
- He has not rewarded us according to our iniquities - He has rewarded us according to Jesus' righteousness
- How great are the heavens? Comparable to God's lovingkindness
- What is His lovingkindness? It's God's pursuing, chasing love of rebellious sinners who deserve to be dealt with and rewarded according to their sins but instead are justified, redeemed and adopted by a super-loving, overly generous, merciful Father
- What does it mean to fear God? Even the ability to recognize God for Who He is is a gift from God - but fear is not just respect, but a deep awe at the power of the Creator of the universe that keeps a healthy regard for His kindnesses and doesn't take them for granted
- So exactly how great is God's pursing love in the life of someone who doesn't take God for granted? It's as high as the heavens are above the earth
- Do the heavens stop? Well to date, we haven't been able to find the boundaries of the universe
Sunday, May 18, 2014
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,
nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him.
"When I say jump, you say, How high?"
This was told to me by a coach in high school, explaining to myself and the team how his authority would not be questioned except with the purpose of expanding our response to his leadership.
But when I read this verse, I cannot help but once again yell, "How high?," not in response to a demanding coach but in response to the outrageous picture given to us of God's lovingkindness! Outrageous, yes, but true - praise the Lord!
What a beautiful passage - what amazing truths:
How fun was that?