Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mercy



(It is interesting to note that the first 21 times mercy is mentioned in scripture is in the context of the mercy seat...hmmmm...a study all to itself...)

"Nothing from that which is put under the ban shall cling to your hand, in order that the Lord may turn from His burning anger and show mercy to you, and have compassion on you and make you increase..."

"For it was of the Lord to harden their hearts, to meet Israel in battle in order that he might utterly destroy them, that they might receive no mercy, but that He might destroy them, just as the Lord had commanded Moses."

"In all their affliction He was afflicted, and the angel of His presence saved them; in His love and mercy He redeemed them, and He lifted them and carried them all the days of old."

"Indeed, as often as I have spoken against him, I certainly still remember him; therefore My heart years for him; I will surely have mercy on him," declared the Lord."

"Lord, I have heard the report about YOu and I fear.  O lord, revive Your work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy."

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy."

"Have mercy on me, Son of David!"

"Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is a lunatic and is very ill..."

"Go home to your people and report to them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He had mercy on you."

"And His mercy is upon generation after generation toward those who fear Him."

"I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."

"So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires."

"Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost (of sinners), Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life."

"May mercy and peace and love be multiplied to you."


Mercy - a gift or a replacement?  Yes, freely given, but definitely put in the place of what is actually deserved.  In these few examples (few because there are about 100 references for "Mercy") the picture is being drawn of God granting something that is not deserved - extending but not without exceptions. A few of the passages indicate that it is within His character and ability to withhold mercy - it is not required of Him to extend.  Hmmm...interesting and scary all at the same time...

Has God been merciful toward you?  Please do not give me the Sunday school answer.  Do you understand what He has taken away from you?  Do you own it? Because if you don't think you need mercy, then it's not very precious to you and you take advantage of the giver.

Does your soul cry out for mercy?  For some reason this song is in my head and though it doesn't have the word mercy in it, it sure cries out for mercy.  I love the words, but if you don't like edgier music, then you might want to skip the link...enjoy.

Dry Bones



No comments:

Post a Comment