Friday, December 31, 2010

People Everywhere



I just got back from Chicago - a quick, two-day trip with my husband and the kids. We did a little shopping (who could resist the after Christmas sales?), ate at a beautiful restaurant, took the kids to see "Wicked", went to the Aquarium, had Chicago pizza and came back home. Oh, and we fit in a few games of cards, as well. It was fast, but very fun.

In the midst of our hurrying from one thing to the next, I found that the only obstacle to overcome in Chicago was all the people. There were people everywhere. People in the elevators, people in the parking garage, people on every corner, people packed in the stores, people in the restaurants, people jammed in the Aquarium. (Well, not in the Aquarium per se, but in the building.) I know it is the holidays, so there were more people than usual, but I was really taken back by all the people.

People. People. People.

There are a lot of people in this world. A lot. Sometimes I get busy in my own little world and I forget how big the world really is. But then I lift my head and look around, and reality strikes.

A lot of people.

Which equates to a lot of sin, doesn't it? A lot of hurt, a lot of pain, a lot of sickness, a lot of questions, a lot of choices, a lot of paths.

So then I wonder, how many of these people know Jesus? How many of them have given their lives to Him, have received the gift of the Holy Spirit, have been reconciled to the Father through the blood of the Son, know the joy of forgiveness and restoration?

Matthew 7:14 says that the gate to life is narrow and few find it. Few.

Well, it is the eve of a new year. My friends, we have a lot of work to do. I understand that "few" will find the way to life, but that should not limit our mission. When God says "few", He's not giving us license to pick and choose who we want to be a light to - salvation is His choice. It's His business. Being a light in a dark world is ours. We have the remedy to what ails the world. We need to get out there and share it.

In addition to our calling to spread the gospel, we also need to respond in gratitude for God's leading us through the gate to life. If few find it, and you're through it already, then you've been blessed beyond all measure.

All measure.

I want to wish you all a mission-filled new year, a year where you and I both take our calling seriously and live with hearts of gratitude for what our great God has done for us. I don't have enough space and you don't have enough patience to allow me to share all the Lord has done in my life in the past twelve months, but I will say, if last year is any indicator of what this year will be like, then I can't wait to see what lies ahead!

Happy New Year, and may God's blessing and the fruit of His Spirit richly permeate your life.

Kristen

2 comments:

  1. Nice new look to the blog for the new year, and as usual a great post. Happy new year to you and family!!!
    I'm with you I can't wait to see what the Lord is going to do with this year. He's done some amazing things in my life and family this past year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tremendous truth -

    If few find it, and you're through it already, then you've been blessed beyond all measure.

    All measure.

    ReplyDelete