Thursday, December 21, 2017

Hope: Provider



Ruth 2:4-3:1


Ruth could see the man talking with his reapers.  She assumed he was the owner of the field.  He was not dressed like the workers, but she could tell he was not a stranger to the land.  The men were attentive to his conversation - he was important.  She also noticed that he looked her way several times and then suddenly he was coming her way.  She averted her eyes and tried not to look frightened, but the kindness and warmth of the women may not be an indicator of how the men felt.

As he got nearer, all the women stood from where they were eating their lunch.  Ruth stood as well and remained quiet, head and eyes remained on the ground.  Then she saw his feet stop in front of her and she slowly looked up.  His face was worn with years of sun exposure, his hair - dark and wavy, gray accents at his temples.  She could see the family resemblence, as he had the kind eyes of her father-in-law and was the same frame and coloring as her husband.  There was not anger in his eyes, but she spied a definite curiosity.

"Good afternoon, ladies.  May the Lord be with all of you," he warmly greeted the women.  Then he turned to her. "Ruth?"

"Yes, sir." She lowered her eyes again, not out of fear but respect. 

"Welcome to Bethlehem.  I am pleased that you have chosen to come and glean in my fields.  I have instructed my men that I want you to stay and glean here."

She looked up at him again and there was smile on his face.  He continued, "When you are thirsty, I have water here for my servants.  You are welcome to it.  My men will not harm you - they will make sure you are safe in the fields."

Ruth was overwhelmed with his generosity.  She was expecting to be dismissed, but instead, this man was giving her a great gift - safety and provision.  She dropped to her knees and bowed her head and asked, "Why would you treat a foreigner with such kindness?"

He reached for her hand and helped her stand. "I have heard of the kindness you have shown to Naomi.  It takes a brave woman to leave her family and her home, and come to a strange land, all for the love and care of an old woman.  The kindness I extend to you is not of my doing - this is God's blessing upon a faithful woman.  You have sought shelter under His wings and I am just fortunate enough to be used by Him to help you."

"Thank you, kind sir.  Naomi will send her thanks, as well, when she hears of your goodness towards us."

"Boaz.  My name is Boaz."

Ruth smiled as he turned to leave.  Today was turning out to be a much better day than she had thought it would be.  By the afternoon break, Boaz was eating and laughing with the workers and he made a point of serving Ruth some of his lunch, as well as the other women.  Ruth thought to herself, No wonder this man is wealthy - his generosity makes his workers loyal to him.

As she was leaving, she overheard Boaz tell his men to let her into the fields tomorrow.  Rather than just gleaning the corners, he wanted them to pull wheat for her in the fields and leave them for her to gather.  She shook her head in disbelief.  Not only was he generous in letting her glean his leftovers, but now he was giving her some of the best of his crops.

When Ruth arrived at home, Naomi was waiting at the door.  She wanted to hear all about her day and at the mention of Boaz's name, Naomi nodded her head and said a prayer. 

"He is one of our closest relatives.  A good man - God is blessing us, Ruth!" 

Ruth continued to glean in Boaz's fields through the barley and wheat harvests.  She believed that Naomi's depression was lifting a bit, because every day, she could see that Naomi was doing things around the home that indicated her energy was returning.  Then one day she came home and saw that the table was set for dinner, a candle was lit and the smell of fresh bread and stew filled the house.  

"Well, this is a fine sight!  Naomi, you have outdone yourself!"

Naomi served the dinner and then sat beside Ruth. "I want to talk with you about something. I have been thinking about it for some time and because the harvest is nearly over, I think now is the time to discuss it.  I have been racking my brain to figure out how I can provide for you, and I think I have come up with an answer!"

Ruth smiled and squeezed Naomi's aging hands.  "Oh, Naomi - you don't have to provide.  The Lord has already provided beyond my imagination.  We have a home, we have food, I have a safe place to work.  Life is fine right now."

"I want more for you, Ruth. I want a future for you that is greater than watching me grow old and die. Now, listen closely as I tell you how we are going to change our lives for good."

And then, this little, aging Hebrew woman leaned in and laid out the strangest plan Ruth had ever heard...

2 comments: